Friday, March 6, 2009

No Cold Or Flu For Me This Winter - Here Is How I Do It!

There are basically three things that I would credit helping me to stay healthy this winter. But before I tell you what those things are I should mention that it's actually a miracle that I didn't get sick because from age 13 until spring 2008 I got a cold three times and the flu once a year. This year I didn't even get sick when my partner was lying in bed with a bad cold for a week which is usually a guarantee for me to get sick, too.

So, here are the 3 things I did differently this year (thanks to my grandparents who gave me the advice):

1. It may sound a bit unorthodox but I drink cider vinegar at least every second day in the morning before breakfast. I dilute 1 tsp honey and 1 tsp cider vinegar in a glass of warm (almost hot) water. As I suffer from acute chronic sinusitis, I wake up with a sore throat every morning since 1999 but I found that the cider vinegar clears my throat and stops the pain immediately. If you want to try this, make sure you don't use more than a tsp because it may burn your throat - I did that and it felt like I swallowed needles, so be careful! ;)

2. I use salt-water nasal spray at least once a day (but there is no harm in doing it 3 or 4 times a day as it is non-addictive). It's a good way to prevent a cold and even sinusitis (which is really one of the most annoying diseases there is). By the way, this helps my sinusitis-related blocked nose as well! :) 

3. There's nothing better than antibacterial hand gel - I love the Carex one, it's cheap, handy and lasts for 100 applications. I use it several times a day and it's ideal when you're out in public where it's easy to catch some kind of infection.

Health is our greatest wealth and maintaining it has never been easier - if you follow my blog you'll see that there are many quick, cheap, simple and natural ways to improve wellbeing which I test myself and share them here if they are working for me! If you have tips on how to avoid getting a cold or the flu and would like to share them, please leave a comment, email or tweet me! ;)

No comments: